Possible Trail Connection between Harrison and Bryn Mawr
This idea may be hair-brained, but thought I would toss it out there just in case it might actually work.
This concept uses a bridge over Bassett's Creek, and a tunnel under the BN RR. The drawing above is a very simplified concept, but you get the general idea.
I may be wrong, but the drawn location for the tunnel appears to me the only location where this may be possible. The bridge over the creek and the trail connections could probably be manipulated to other locations or configurations.
- - - This concept would provide a way to get around the problematic at-grade BN RR crossing.
- - - This would give a nice connection between the Harrison and Bryn Mawr sections of Bassett's Creek Park.
- - - This plan would provide a nice additional, more convenient, access to Utepils for many folks coming from Bryn Mawr and from Harrison.
- - - One challenge here would probably be to provide the proper head room for bikers in the tunnel. In order to provide enough head room, the floor of the tunnel may have to dip down below the elevation of groundwater. If this is the case, maybe a creative method may have to be utilized. This method may include a specially constructed tunnel with leak-proof walls and floor, along with a floor drain and sub-floor sump-pump to remove rain water.
- - - Another challenge may be the possibility that the tunnel may flood during high creek water events. Would this be acceptable with signage like: ""Do Not Enter Tunnel When Flooded" or similar? The sump system could drain the tunnel after flood waters subside. A sensor outside the tunnel could indicate flood condition and shut down the sump pump until the flood is over. Maybe the sump could be programmed to operate for a few minutes every few hours during flooding to eliminate heavy accumulation of mud and other types of sediment.
- - - And of course, another potential challenge may be a very high cost for tunnel construction, along with possible high costs to meet BN's safety structure requirements.
bassett's creek parkbryn mawr neighborhoodharrison neighborhoodluce line trailMinneapolis CP SOO RR