CP.SOO RR Corridor - Minneapolis and Wirth Park
As I have been informed, the yellow line shows the CP.SOO RR that is currently for sale. The Red line shows the segment that is not for sale.
As I can see it at the moment, below are the advantages and challenges of MPRB acquiring this entire available run of CP.SOO RR.
- - This would provide a very nice, improved trail route for this segment of the Luce Line Trail connecting Wirth Park to the Cedar Lake Trail.
- - This would remove at grade vehicle conflict crossings at Glenwood Ave., Cedar Lake Road and the Utepils area entrance drive.
- - There are two existing RR bridges over Bassett's Creek which are very usable for a trail, and would provide nice scenic views of the creek.
- - This would provide good bicycle and pedestrian access to the Utepils/Mill area.
- - Some sections of the line may be good for general park land, even if a trail is not considered for that area. One area like this would be the CP.SOO land between the creek and the Bryn Mawr section of Bassett's Creek Park.
- - The issue of the at-grade crossing with the active BN RR. As I understand it, BN would probably not allow this at-grade crossing. - - (Although, it may be worth a try to see if they would go along with a crossing with a robust amount of safety measures. These measures may include blocking arms that lower with approaching trains, flashing lights, warning sounds, and robust warning signage.)
- - The cost of purchasing the CP.SOO rail bed may be very high. - - (Although, for much of this CP.SOO RR property it seems to me that MPRB would probably be the only buyer who would want it. For these segments, this would give MPRB much bargaining leverage for a low price.)
- - Some segments may be desired by private developers, such as Wellington.
- - A trail on the CP.SOO RR corridor between Cedar Lake Road and Van White Blvd would probably cut through the middle of an area having private development on both sides. This situation may cause the existance of at-grade vehicle street crossings.
- - A trail in the Fruen Mill area would create at-grade crossing conflicts with vehicles going to and from any future development of the Mill.
- - An at-grade vehicle conflict crossing would probably have to exist at Van White Blvd to connect to the existing trail along the east side of the Boulevard.
minneapolis cp soo rail linebassett's creek parkluce line trailharrison neighborhoodbryn mawr neighborhoodWirth Parkbassett creek