(photo-aa) . . . Claus and fellow workers in clay pit.
- Rita says Claus is the first man on the left.
-- Scanned print size 4-1/4" x 6-1/2".
Excerpt from: 'The Ghost Towns & Discontinued Post Offices of Goodhue County', by Roy W. Meyer, published 2003 ::
"" Claybank --- Goodhue County's clay industry, centered in the northern part of Goodhue township, has been economically important since its beginnings, early in the county's history. About 1861 a German-born potter, John Paul, bought some land in what came to be called the Clay Pits, installed a potter's wheel and a kiln, and began making crocks, jugs, bowls, jars, and small statues. After about ten years he moved away, but others followed.
--- In 1877 the Red Wing Stoneware Company began exploiting the deposits of clay that Paul had found so valuable. Six years later Minnesota Stoneware began to compete; North Star Stoneware came on the scene in 1892. In 1906 the three merged in the Red Wing Union Stoneware Company, which changed its name in 1936 to Red Wing Pottery. The company ended its manufacture of stoneware in 1967. Meanwhile, the Red Wing Sewer Pipe Company, organized in 1891 to exploit the inferior clay discarded by the stoneware companies, continued digging after the latter firms depleted the usable deposits. In 1949 the sewer-pipe company began reworking the clay pits that had lain closed since 1925. The pits finally closed in 1972.
--- Upon completion of the Duluth, Red Wing & Southern Railroad Company's line in 1889, the extensive clay-digging operations, underway for nearly three decades, expanded. Partly to serve the workers in the clay pits, Henry Holst built a store just east of the railroad track in section 5, in a narrow valley broadening farther north to form the valley of Hay Creek. ....
--- Claybank remained a busy place for many years. In the period of maximum activity at the clay pits, to which a branch line was built in 1892, some 75 men held jobs there. Two large boarding houses and several family residences provided housing. ....
--- After activity at the clay pits dwindled, the (Claybank) store depended on farmer patronage, which it solicited through a delivery system. ""
fredineclaybankredwing potteryclay pitpottery clay